Saturday, January 17, 2009

Not Yo Baby.


When Jayson was a baby, I started buying those little, fancy pants organic baby yogurts (YoBaby from Stonyfield Farm). I think they were about $38 for a six-pack. Ok, maybe not $38, but you get the point.

Well that got old real fast.

Being the frugal mama and do-it-yourself-er that I am; I got myself a yogurt maker. Making yogurt tuned out to be pretty easy. I used my yogurt maker a lot, until Jayson turned two. Then I had the green light to just be lazy and buy him "Grown Up" yogurt.

For almost a year, my poor, lonely yogurt maker has been collecting dust. But now that Kyle is old enough, we are back in the yogurt making business.
Whole Milk Yogurt Recipe:

3 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup powdered milk
3 heaping tablespoons store-bought plain yogurt

Preheat your yogurt maker.
Combine the whole milk and powdered milk in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Heat just to boiling, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
Once the milk has come to a boil, turn off the heat.
let the milk cool to about 110 degrees.
Add the store bought yogurt to a small bowl.
Gently stir in a few tablespoons of the warm milk mixture into the yogurt. This will thin it out and and make it easier to combine with the remaining milk.
Pour the yogurt mixture into the pan with the milk, stirring gently.
Pour this mixture into the yogurt maker container(s).
Cover and let it do it's thing for 8 hours. Do Not Disturb.

Bacteria never tasted so good!

You may be able to skip the powdered milk, as this made some VERY thick yogurt.

For Kyle, I just mashed some fresh blueberries with a fork and mixed in the yogurt. Jayson wont eat yogurt on its own so I upgraded him to a toddler friendly smoothie with banana, blueberries, strawberries and (Bwa hahahahaha) some fresh baby spinach. I don't know why tricking a 3 year-old into eating spinach makes me feel so dang smart, but it does!

0 comments: